Monday, 31 October 2011

Good Reads

 I used to be part of an "underground bookclub" back home.  It was great getting together with like minded women & I really appreciated reading things I maybe never would have considered before.  I certainly have learned a lot & hope to crash a meeting or two while I'm on holiday back in the states. Longing for a good read several months ago I asked a friend here in Melbourne what I should read.  She suggested Mao's Last Dancer.  I had heard of it before & tried it out.  I'm sure most of you have heard about it too.  I loved that book.  It's about a young peasant boy from China & how he becomes a famous ballet dancer (true story).  I especially loved the Australian connection, as he immigrated to Australia & currently lives in Melbourne.  I saw Li Cunxin's version of Mao's Last Dancer as a children's book & I had to have it.  It's called The Peasant Prince & it is beautiful.







Another book I read during Winter here this year was The Book Thief.  It was dark at times, but I really enjoyed that book as well.  I am often times interested in books that have a Jewish story because of my family history.

Another all time favorite of mine is Rain of Gold by Victor Villasenor.  I don't know if it was perfect timing, or what was exactly going on in my life at the time, but I loved that book!  It is about a Hispanic family- a love story even, that takes place in Mexico & parts of Southern California that are very close to our home (another true-ish story).

I love reading on our ipad or kindle because I can instantly get a book without having to go to the bookstore, which is more difficult here because they are a dying institution.  Sadly many bookstores are going out of business because of Amazon(?)...they just can't compete here.  Books are expensive for some reason.  However, there is one bookstore chain here that is beautiful & seems to be surviving.  It's called Readings readings.com.au .


Readings in Carlton

It's a lovely store & they are scattered across the city, but still the closest is about 35 minutes away (I think).  Books seem like such an indulgence now.  Hannah is reading a lot & I think it's because of the new technology that a kindle/ipad offers.  Even Benjamin has joined the reading bandwagon (finally!).  He's reading for pleasure & that is a good sign.  Still nothing compares to a "real" book, feeling the pages between my fingers, the smell & heaviness.

I am always looking for another great read...any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel! Can't wait until you get here so that we can visit and you can enjoy your Christmas during it's proper season...winter!! Just wanted to tell you that I read "Mao's Last Dancer" a couple of years ago and LOVED it! Also, I have on my stack to read, "The Book Thief". So given those facts, I feel safe recommending this book to you: "The Chosen" by Chaim Potok. It compares the lives of two Jewish boys - one a Hasidic and the other a Modern Orthodox. I read it years ago, but it still comes to mind from time to time. Profound story. ♥Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelli! I can't wait to see you too! I think I'm just going to cry my way through church my first Sunday back! I also read The Chosen a few years back & really loved it too! I think you need to recommend some more books for me... See you very soon!xx

    ReplyDelete