Thursday, 29 March 2012

Gammer


Gammer with my mom



Today on March 29th my Grandmother aka Gammer passed away.  She was 96 & up until she was 95 she lived on her own.

I remember really enjoying the sleepovers I had at her house.  She had a Peter Rabbit  book that always stayed in the guest room.  She had a huge beautiful garden that she let me work & play in.  The first flower I ever learned the name of was the Zinnia flower, which she taught me.  I always thought it was such a strange name.  She grew them in the sunshine of her pink Arcadia home.  Often times she'd take us to the Arboretum & I'd have a tuna sandwich with her homemade sweet pickles.



She always had candy stashed in her soup tureen, usually Kit Kats.  If you were lucky she'd have a box of See's Candy turtles lying around, those were yummy too.  She'd send us a birthday card with our exact age in dollar bills, then when we got too old for that, she'd still send us grandkids a birthday check in the amount of our age.  One year I remember she had Mickey Mouse Christmas wrapping paper too, how cool was that?!

A few years ago she gave me several plates that she's had forever, & I mean forever.  You know when you go to your Grandmother's house & nothing has changed since, I don't know...1950?  She's used these plates ever since 1950, I can't remember anything else.  Anyway, they must have been burned into my mind because I secretly like them & have been using them for different stuff over the years.  I think of her when I see them.

Our bedroom

Plate for perfume bottles

I've used her sugar bowl & creamer for my make up brushes

All the girls, a visit in December 2010 right before we went to Australia
Uncle Roger, Gammer & Mom at Gammer's 90th Birthday

Love you Gammer, until we meet again!xxxooo


3 comments:

  1. Oh Rachie you're such a good writer. I hope gammer is reading this right now.!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that Rachel...takes me right into Arcadia...and those special times we all had together. You honor her memory. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry for your loss. Your Grammer was everything a Grandma should be.

    ReplyDelete