So now we are entering the socialization part of this whole journey. I kinda look at this experience as the layers of an onion. When we first arrived, the simplest of tasks were difficult like, driving, going to the grocery store, opening a checking account. Those first few weeks were the core of the onion. We held each other tight & tried to remind ourselves that we chose this crazy idea & felt good about it! Now the layers of the onion are being peeled back a little further & we are enjoying ourselves more & feeling further settled each day. There are new challenges now, like choosing good friends & the whole social aspect of meeting people & moving to a new place. I am noticing funny words that Aussie's use & it's interesting to learn new vocab & apply it, so I thought I'd share with you.How ya goin?=How are you? (For some reason Dan & I thought this was funny, they say it in a sing songish sort of way)
bogan=white trash
dodgie=questionable, bad
biscuits=cookies
chips=french fries
texter=marker (pen)
rubber=eraser
dag=a nerdy or uncool person, maybe a dork
For example: That was a dodgie neighborhood, with a bunch of bogans.
You could have dodgie clothes too, (it's kinda like tacky when used that way).
Someone might say "Oh, he's a bit of a dag".
Love it - keep em coming!!!!
ReplyDeleteThe new use of words is the best. Our family favorite from the UK is pants. There it means underwear. I embarrassed myself a few times!
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean Bridget...the word "fanny" doesn't mean the same as it does in the states. I told Lizzy to sit down on her fanny once & my friend mentioned that's probably not the best word to use. It means a girls' private area! Whoops!
ReplyDeleteI love "dodgie"...my brother in law uses it as well (from England)...cracks me up! Who drew the onion, you Rach?
ReplyDeleteNo, I did not draw the onion, I found it on google images for onions & tried to post who drew it, but it wasn't listed. It's very good isn't it?
ReplyDeleteThis is great. I remember bubbler pronounced "bubbla" was a drinking fountain. Is that still right? I also remember trying to find a sweater but it was called a jumper I think....or maybe it was jersey? It's just going to keep getting better and better Rach! SS
ReplyDeleteI heard another word that I thought was pernounced funny. Aluminum, as in foil. They say ali-minu-um, with an emphasis on the middle syllable, instead of, well...aluminum. I sometimes get smiles & giggles because we (Americans) stress the wrong syllable compared to Aussie English. They say "I reckon..." a lot too!
ReplyDelete