Wednesday, 28 November 2012

Thanksgiving & Vanilla 2012

I wanted to share a few Thanksgiving memories, mostly for me, as I find this blog a great resource for trying to figure out how I did stuff in the past! I couldn't figure out what I served last Thanksgiving, and only remembered I liked the sweet potatoes. Then I looked at the photos of last year & discovered what recipes to use. Anyway, we had a great dinner with great friends, and this year it really did feel like Thanksgiving.

 

The Gang

Tiahna & Lisa







I also wanted to share (or remind myself for later) how to make homemade vanilla. It's everywhere on Pinterest, & very easy to make. My mom inspired me by making her own vanilla & then shipped some to me all the way from home. All you need is real vanilla beans, some alcohol and bottles. I think the secret is to split the beans & scrape them out, then submerge the beans & seeds in the alcohol. I used an old large pickle jar & steeped the beans for a few months. The longer they steep, the better the vanilla. I used Vodka, but I think you can use Rum or other alcohol. It was hard enough for me to walk in the liquor store & figure the Vodka part out. That's all real vanilla is made from, alcohol & vanilla! Happy baking!














6 comments:

  1. Love the post on Thanksgiving! So great to see your friends, even if only on the computer. Everything looked good enough to eat! The vanilla turned out really great too! Love you Rach...You are a really swell homemaker. You make me a proud Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love that recipe for vanilla. I've been looking for homemade Christmas gifts and these look gorgeous! xx

    Anna (My Design Ethos)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel! I haven't been on your blog before. I adore this. It's swell seeing you and your kids and how exciting and fabulous your lives are in Australia. I love seeing how you have decorated your beautiful home. It brings me back to the good old days of Fallbrook when I was your neighbor across the ravine. ;) Carry on, Noelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noelly,
      You are such a dear! I'm glad you stumbled upon our blog adventures, still can't believe we're down here sometimes. We got your darling Valentine's Day card...loved it, & thanks for sending it all the way down here:)xox Rach

      Delete